Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Toilet Training



We have finally began toilet training, we have tried for brief periods in the past and have not had luck but we decided when we got home from Disney we would try again. It is kind of funny that a large part of my job is to provide support to parents in toilet training their children who have special needs and I have not yet trained my daughter. I feel like such a hypocrite at times giving parents all the tips that I have not yet tried. We have have been working on it for a week and each day Elizabeth is doing better and better. Following the teaching I provide to parents; look for readiness signs - Elizabeth in the past couple months has been telling us when she has just gone and that she wants to be changed, children must have dry periods of 1 1/2 - 2hrs which has been happening in the past couple months and for bowel movements they should be predictable and regular - we are not there yet. We have been putting Elizabeth on the potty every 1 1/2 - 2hrs for the past week and today she was dry the whole afternoon and even told me 'Mom I have to pee and time is running out!'. In the beginning she sobbed every time we put her on the potty because she couldn't pee and would not come off the potty until she peed (which in the beginning was a drip) she would push, squeeze and choke until almost throwing up. I was so worried that this asking too much of her and maybe I should leave it. We spent a lot of time in the bathroom reading book after book, I felt like were spending all day in the bathroom and even resorted to sitting on the potty in front of the t.v.. Now Elizabeth asks us to leave so she can pee and then yells out 'I peed you forget to get me a treat' (something sugary). We are so proud and amazed how well she is doing. As the soy milk and the 3-6-9 oils have been making things a bit on the loose side bowel training maybe awhile but the fact that she is peeing on the potty is pretty cool.

4 comments:

Miracles said...

Way to go Elizabeth, how exciting!!!

Melissa said...

What a big girl! Way to go!!

I really should start being more consistent with Nathan. He does tell me when he has gone and sometimes even when he needs to go. First I need to get a new potty. He just doesn't sit well on the one I have.

The Hull Munchkins said...

Way to go Elizabeth!

I just started the potty training marathon today with my 2 yr old son. He has been telling me when he poops, and just recently tried to pull his pants down to pee! I figured I'd better get the potty chair out and the undies.

I'd love to hear more of your tricks/tips on the subject. Honestly I'm not looking forward to the months of accidents ahead of us, but trying to enjoy it and take one baby step at a time.

Keep up the good work Elizabeth!
-Patty

Jacolyn said...

Yeah!! I've about decided my kids will NEVER be potty trained. Way to go!!