Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2009

'That Mom'

I should be used to this by now but it still perturbs me. Everything for Elizabeth requires a fight, nothing falls easily into place, it is like we are the first ones to travel this road. Accessing services and support in the 21st century should be without major obstacles. It seems like every developmental step requires a fight to get to the next level, enrolling Elizabeth in a pre-school was beyond difficult. I hate having to be 'that Mom' but I need to be to ensure Elizabeth is receiving what she requires in terms of therapy and medical care. What is worse is I am 'that Mom' to my colleagues as well, as they are Elizabeth's therapists. I love all Elizabeth's therapists they are all great to Elizabeth but in order to ensure she receives therapy I have to call managers, leave firm voice mails and be the mom that everyone avoids. What upsets me is after I resort to these methods appointments magically appear and we are scheduled again. There is no seamless care and in our declining economic state services will continue to dwindle. Invisible borders constantly come up impeding what she needs. Our arguments have only just began with the school board regarding her 2011 start date for kindergarten and us wanting to hold her back. I hate that they already know us and we are not there yet. I do apologize to her therapists, Dr.'s, teachers and now the principle of her new school that we are causing them extra work but really this should be seamless it is 2009. It makes me tired and deprives me of sleep, a lot of sleep.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

It sucks that you have to go through that. I wrote a post once called the battleground that was basically the same gyst as this. What I hate is that the scenarios have turned me into someone I don't like. I used to be so laid back.

abby said...

I totally know what you mean by becoming 'that mom.' I often feel the same way, and it makes me weary (and sleepless, too). But we are doing the best we can do by our kids, and it shows. And at the end of the day (or the start of the next), that's what keeps me going.

And, in terms of holding them back a year, you betcha that we are going to try to do the same thing. Even if Hallie is reading (which is likely) by then, and speaking in an age appropriate way (who knows) and eating better (again, who knows?) the early arrival of our little ones makes me think that this is the best plan.

Sunnyberra said...

I just happened across this blog, and 'cerebral palsy' caught my attention (as I have a mild 'mixed' CP, myself). Then, reading this article, I laughed. My mom was 'That Mom', too. I remember the meetings with teachers and counselors, and having my mom right there, *always* explaining, informing, and trying her best to do right.
Thinking about all my mom did for me--trying to find a balance between encouraging new and difficult things to realizing what my abilities were must have been exhausting. But I'm a better person for all that, and I thank her every day for what she has done for me. I'm sure Elizabeth will feel and do the same.

Best wishes
Ann

Jacolyn said...

Why is it all so hard?!