Pages

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Big Girl School





Elizabeth started Senior Kindergarten last week and is loving big girl school. I have not been worried about how she would feel about Kindergarten because she is so easy going. Her first day of school she went off with the other kids and didn't even say good-bye. The little girls flocked to her as her outfit was pretty 'blingy' with her new sparkling lite-up sketchers and her bejeweled shirt all which she chose herself. We arrived at school with all the 'non-normal' first day items that I thought would help with her transition (maybe more the teachers transition), AFO's, handouts regarding dystonia, ataxia and Auditory Neuropathy, 2 Epi-Pens, weighted pencil and FM unit.
I was a bit worried about her going as when she met her teacher last week they gave the impression there would not be an Assistant for her, of course I was not happy. Luckily on her first day I met with the Assistant who would be available to help her get dressed and assist her with gym and recess. We also on the first day met the Itinerant for the Deaf who was there to set-up Elizabeth's FM unit which I was really impressed with.
All in all it was a good first week. There are things that we need to iron out but for now I am biting my tongue and trying to avoid being 'that' Mom. Hopefully as they get to know Elizabeth they will understand how much she just wants to be like her peers and will allow her the same opportunities, for now I will just hang on and wait.
You may have noticed in Elizabeth's pictures no AFO's, we are trying out some new ones and will post her progress soon.

3 comments:

I Just Love You said...

what a big girl....she seems thrilled about school for sure! :)

Sherry C said...

SK so wonderful I hope her experience is just as fabulous as Ashley's. I love her outfit too it does remind me of Ashley's stuff. Ashley has a gap backpack too but not that one.

Anonymous said...

She's so cute and pretty! Glad to read she had a good start to the year. Barbara